Levi Allen: One Month
Leebs, Leeves, Bubby, Buppy, Little Man, Evie, Blu-bluh
It took Daphne awhile to get used to the idea of Levi at first. She started biting her fingernails and absolutely losing her mind every time Daddy would hold him. She has since gotten pretty used to him, she looks for him every morning when she comes out of her room and usually insists on kissing his toes. She constantly gives him kisses throughout the day and MUST kiss Levi before kissing anyone else goodnight, hah!
We aren't really focused on creating a routine for Levi just yet, although I have noticed he has certain patterns. At some point I do expect to create a routine for him, it was definitely something that helped me with Daphne!
- Solly wrap
- Nestor the Bull (his wubbanub)
- Having his head rubbed
- Being held
- Hush Hat
- Being swaddled (especially if its warm from being run in the dryer for a bit)
- Weight: 8.62 lbs. (20%)
- Length: 21.2 in. (39%)
- Clothing: NB
- Diapers: NB - we've used practically every brand of diaper there is, my personal favorites are Honest Co. and my husband's favorites are Pampers Swaddlers (we used this brand with Daphne).
- Met Aunt Angie and Uncle-to-be Theron
- Met Mom-mom, Pop-pop, Aunt Molly and Aunt Megan
- Met Grandma, Grandpa Wagner, Aunt Rachelle, Uncle Sullivan and Aunt Nikki
- Met Uncle Brady, Aunt Meghan, Uncle Ty and Aunt Jessie
- Church service at Prestonwood
- Blow out (and after bath time too, sheesh!)
- Bath with big sister
- Peed on Dad
- Waiting for milk
- Screams from sister...
- Gas pains
RECENT GOOGLE SEARCHES -- Just for fun, I thought I'd keep track of these :-)
- newborn breastfeeding with lazy suck
- swollen feet after delivery
- breastfeeding strike 4 days
- baby latches and unlatches
- 4 day old hasn't pooped in 24 hours
- how long to gauze circumcision
- lily jade elizabeth in camel (a girl can dream...)
- when to start tummy time
- baby mine lyrics
- chim chim cher-ee lyrics
- game apps to play while breastfeeding
Levi nurses 8-9 times a day for 5-15 minutes on one side per feeding with typically 2-2.5 hours between feedings with one 4-6 hour stretch at night. At first Levi's latch was actually pretty good and he was actually sucking and swallowing quite well! After his circumcision he was too tired to wake up and want to nurse so things started to get a little dicey. Thankfully I knew enough this time around to go ahead and start pumping in the hospital to encourage my milk supply. I pumped a decent amount and we would offer it to him in a dropper at the breast, but he still wasn't getting enough or latching for very long at all and he wasn't sucking well either. Our first day home from the hospital things started to improve! He still needed some stimulation to continue sucking (a great tip from one of the lactation consultants we saw > there is a pressure point in the palm of baby's hand that will stimulate sucking when you rub it!) but his latch was really good and it only took about a week or so before Levi had a consistently good latch and was sucking and swallowing for almost every feeding.
It's been a whole new experience to not have to worry so much about successful breastfeeding this time around! Instead of nursing/pumping/offering a bottle for every feeding I only pumped at the hospital and for those first few days at home in place of unsuccessful feedings. Not having to pump has been so freeing! It's also been a bit easier on Dad too, Carson has always been so supportive of my choice to breastfeed - his responsibilities include handing Levi to me for feedings in the middle of the night and changing his diapers and making sure I have water/snacks! I am curious to see how much Levi is getting at each feeding, I would like to go and have him weighed before and after a feeding session at some point.
Levi doesn't really have a set sleeping routine yet, the only time he's been fairly consistent is during his 4-6 hour stretch at night. We have found that Levi sleeps longer and better if we swaddle him and wrap him in a blanket, although he is pretty gassy so that definitely affects his sleep. He is also sleeping in his little lounger next to Daddy's side of the bed.