She Shares Truth: Commissioned Moments



I used to be such a people-person.

My parents called me their social butterfly. If there was a gathering of people, I wanted to be there. It didn't matter what it was, I wanted in.

This personality went with me to college where it really seemed to benefit me, I met all kinds of people and most of them are still in my life today!

But then, I got hurt.

It wasn't one event, or one person that hurt me. It was several over a period of time. I realized that the people that had the power to really hurt me, were those that I had let in as my close friends. I realized that if I never introduced myself to people, they never had the opportunity to hurt me. I realized that if no one knew my name, no one would gossip about me. If no one thought I was worth knowing, than no one would truly know me, and I became totally okay with that.


I'm sharing a little bit of my story today because the She Reads Truth ministry has made a big impact on my life. I'm linking up with them today to share with you why it's difficult for me to be available for commissioned moments.


I feel like I'm basically a professional Christian.

I grew up a Pastor's kid, spent my summers at church camp and missions trips, studied church ministry in college, studied religion in college, I was even part of a full-time ministry that traveled every weekend and put on DNOW weekends for youth groups all over the country and now I'm married to a man in full-time ministry and we serve at our church together!

There is no reason why I shouldn't be comfortable talking about Jesus to those that don't know him.

But I am.

And what makes me even more uncomfortable is when the Holy Spirit leads me to do so. I doubt whether it was truly the Holy Spirit, I assume that the person will probably be offended anyway and I question my ability to discern what the Spirit is leading me to do.

I also recognize that in order for me to share the love of Christ with a person, I need to introduce myself.

As selfish as it may seem, that is what's hardest for me to do. The desire to protect myself from rejection, hurt, awkwardness or even inconvenience becomes so much stronger than my heart to see that person come to know the Lord as their personal Savior.

How shameful.

So I sit here today, recognizing the things that hold me back from sharing the gospel and I pray for courage. I pray for wisdom and discernment to recognize those commissioned moments and take them boldly, as Jesus took the cross for my sins.

I am also reminded that God wasn't suggesting that it would maybe be nice, if we had the time, to share His saving gospel, He commands us to.

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Matthew 28: 19-20

We are not alone. The words will come. We have His promise that the Holy Spirit will be with us. We just need to obey.

"Repentance + forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to all nations...and behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you." Luke 24: 47, 49a




Comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing. These words could've just as well come out of my own mouth. I'm totally there with you. I'm just so thankful that God doesn't give up on us, and that He WILL answer our prayers for courage, boldness, and the right words. Again, thank you for sharing ... I needed to read that I wasn't alone in this struggle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Glory's Story

The Waiting Room

Birth Story: Levi Allen